Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Quick Intro to Scrum




Quick Definition of Scrum


  • Scrum is a way to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable pieces.

  • This is done with a self-organizing team that works for an allotted time (a sprint), usually two weeks to deliver a potentially shippable product.

  • Contrary to what some believe, the sprint does not deliver partially complete work. The completed work is fully tested and ready to show to stakeholders with any documentation or artifacts.

  • At the end of the sprint, a review (sprint retrospective) is held where the process is examined and any recommendations for process improvement are discussed. As the next sprint begins, another chunk of the product is worked on and the cycle repeats itself.



Real Life Scrum Example


My Grandfather was an auto mechanic and my Dad was an auto-mechanic which pretty much made me an auto mechanic growing up. In fact, from the time I could hold a wrench I was working on cars. I didn’t realize it at the time and it didn’t have a name, but we practiced Scrum back then.

Each morning when we arrived at the garage we would get a cup of coffee and all gather together to talk about what we did yesterday, what we were going to do today and any impediments we might have.

Dad: "Need anything on the engine rebuild for Mr. Brown?"
Me: "No, everything is by the book, so far."

Dad: "Alright, I’ll start the brake job while take care of the 2 oil changes."
Me: "I have to get gas in the parts truck, so I'll do that when I drop the rotors off."

Dad: "Sounds good. We can each take a tune-up, break for lunch, then double-team the water pump on the Ford this afternoon."

This was our way of self-organizing and while it wasn't the purest form of Scrum, as a Scrum master I make an effort to relate that experience with software development.


For more information visit http://www.scrumalliance.org/.

No comments:

Post a Comment